Tuesday, February 9, 2010

O Captain! My Captain!

The infantilization of America seeps into our very junk food (or does it start there).

Twinkie the Kid is more like Twinkie the Baby.


I hope they're playing off the Slim Pickins "Dr. Strangelove" pose in a complex irony which swings back to Twinkie's legendary apocalypse survival skills.

No more lassoing up youngsters.  No more lines at all, for that matter,







Who knows what sad fate has taken the Fruit Pie Magician or King Ding Dong.

And what of Captain Cupcake? Once he proudly sailed the high seas, Master and Commander.

 

Reduced to a "cute" chocolate blob.


Exult O shores, and ring O bells!
But I with mournful tread,
Walk the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

2 comments:

Liesje said...

Best post ever.

I love that vintage Captain and a bit sad I'm not old enough to remember him.

Anonymous said...

"infantilization" true enough -- do you remember my Prep unit on the sexualization of advertising? take a look at Twink again...and his mount...