Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Ain't That A Poke In The Eye?

Probably around two years ago I was walking down 7th Avenue to the subway and a street vendor's table caught my eye.

I didn't stop, for fear of getting wrangled into an attempted hustle (even if I want something, the moment someone tries to "sell" me on it I resist).  Instead I did the "turn and look".

He was selling "original" paintings.  Most were small: 3 x 5, 4 x 4.  Most were loose images of superheros: Spiderman, Batman.

There were a few that were particularly peculiar;  little recreations of Ivan Brunetti panels.



Too shocked to stop, too mystified I passed by.  The rest of the day I kicked myself.  I should've stopped.  I should take pictures and send them to Brunetti.

The next day the vendor was still there.  I laid down $20 and didn't say a word.


No comments: